Toddlers will be in the process of developing their physical, mental and emotional skills. Their inability to express or achieve something makes it difficult for them to behave. Behavior management of toddlers should be done with utmost love and affection as we will be laying the foundation for his future. Have a clear set of rules which a child is permitted to do. At the same time, the child should be allowed to be himself; it should not have strict rules which make it difficult for the child to have childhood fun. Imposing lots of rules and regulations makes it difficult for the child to follow resulting in bad behavior and a negative home atmosphere.
Here we present you 5 rules to change your toddler’s behavior
- Ability to Express: It is difficult for the child to put feelings into words. They express themselves in the form of emotional outbursts as misbehavior, tantrums or aggressiveness. Kids will be too young to talk about their discomfort, likes or dislikes, they express themselves in the form of anger and stubbornness. Parents should teach children to express themselves in words and share their difficulties. A parent should make the child understand parents can solve their problems and the only hurdle is they should approach and explain the difficulty.
- Morals: Encourage your child to accept mistakes and work to correct them. Ask your child to be polite with everyone and if anything bad is done, apologies and behave well. Make a habit in the house to use kind words and show respect towards each other. This will have a large impact on how he treats fellow mates and acquaintances.
- Time Out and Healthy Habits: Define a timetable for the child and the child should follow the timetable no matter what. This will help in disciplining the child. Try to speak in a positive tone and sentences rather than using negative words such as “No”, “Never”, etc. Cultivate the habit of behaving well when somebody visits, greet, sit properly, talk nicely, etc. Let the child start doing his or her own work like putting dirty clothes in the hamper, putting the toys back in the bag, etc
- Attend Child’s need on Your Terms: Lending a helping hand will be beneficial for both the child and the parent. When the child does a mess promise to help the child and show the child how it is done. This will enable the child to develop problem-solving skills and behavioral skills.
- Let the Child Explore: Children will be very inquisitive about the surroundings, let the child explore and be his companion to get what is right and what is not. Keep the items such as knives, scissors, electronics, and other harmful items away from reach. Stop the child from grabbing wrong articles by giving a proper explanation of why is it harmful and should not be handled, etc
It is okay to accept that a child cannot be controlled every time and a child’s bad behavior does not judge you of being what kind of a parent you are. Discipline your child in the most effective way which increases bonding and develops a good human being. Highlight the brighter side of the child to get the best form of him.